Blaxploitation Film Icon Pam Grier

Blaxploitation Film Icon Pam Grier
Image of film icon Pam Grier courtesy of PhotoBucket (www.photobucket.com)

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Conclusion

Overall, this annotated bibliography blog encompasses a wide range of theoretical perspectives, research methodologies,  and is quite interdisciplinary ranging from social theory and film criticism. I had difficulty in locating sources that were specific to African-American women and blaxploitation film. Out of all of the project sources, only two books and one article were specifically targeting those subjects. However. I gained a tremendous amount of information on the perception and stereotypes that were prevalent in the genre of blaxploitation. I also familiarized myself with different applications of theory (such as queer theory) that can be a different lens in which to view research. My familiarity with blogs made this project very easy, with regards to tagging and embedding links and videos (which I thought would be helpful in familiarizing people with some of the work that I will be mentioning).

I think the difficulty in this annotated bibliography was recognizing the gaps in research and how these gaps can help shape my own research. I still feel that there is more research that I can locate (but thus far it has been difficult).  Because I found mainly articles focusing on masculinity and black male actors in blaxploitation, I realize that my own research project has to focus on advocating for critical analysis of female lead roles in blaxploitation. I think that by focusing on modern perspectives such as black feminist theory and perhaps even queer theory (as pointed out in the Brody piece) can bring a fresh perspective to an obsolete genre of film., educating those who are unfamiliar with blaxploitation and introducing new ways to view blaxploitation to a new audience.

I also hope that readers gain knowledge about my own personal research interests and how a genre of film, once thought of as campy and a bit stereotypical, can be viewed with a very critical eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails