Blaxploitation Film Icon Pam Grier

Blaxploitation Film Icon Pam Grier
Image of film icon Pam Grier courtesy of PhotoBucket (www.photobucket.com)

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Introduction



This annotated bibliography blog is for my final project for ENG 8125: Research and Writing Methodology. Although this is a partial list of my sources, I feel it is a mix of scholarly articles and books from a variety of disciplines. My project and these subsequent sources focus on issues in blaxploitation-films of the 1970’s targeting black audiences starring mostly all-black casts which combined racial, political, and social issues. 

Specifically, my project deals with perceptions of race and class by Generation X African-American and their reactions to blaxploitation films with female leads. Several articles in this annotated bibliography have extensively discussed some of these films, such as Coffy and Cleopatra Jones. I plan to take a feminist (black feminist) approach and advocacy standpoint in my research project. I also plan on incorporating the actual films into my research project by having both a film viewing and survey/interviews of Generation X African-American women to gauge their reactions to blaxploitation films with female leads. 

My research serves to answer the question (s): What are the modern reactions and interpretations of Generation X African American Woman (ages 30-40 specifically) to female-centered/female-lead Blaxploitation films? Based on modern black feminist aesthetics, will these reactions toward these films be skewed more positively, negatively or impartially?






(Film Trailer  for  Cleopatra Jones available at Youtube.com )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails